Monday, November 29, 2010

Talking point # 5 In service of what?

 I very much like the idea of a service learning project.  I believe that by incorporating education and helping people that are in need is a great collaboration. Whether is be tutoring, volunteering in a classroom as we are doing right now, donating to charity etc. I believe that this is a great thing and it should keep going on.  I think that by people helping others that are in need is a great thing to do.  The person helping out has to want to do it though, otherwise it defeats the whole purpose of the project.  For example if we went into the classrooms that we are volunteering in with a miserable attitude and acted like we did not want to be there it would not help the students out at all it would make them feel bad make them feel negative as well.  But, if we go in there with a positive attitude willing to help and eager to be there they will feel the same way because they see that we are happy and want to be there.  As said in the reading

"Moral domain: giving and caring." 

I think that is a very nice way of putting it.

"Service learning project makes students active participants in service prjoects that aim to respond to the needs of the community while furthering that academic goals of students."

I believe that this is exactly what the service learning project is and what it does, I think that it is great

"Educators who emphasize change would clearly also value the educational benefits of this approach."

No comments:

Post a Comment