Sunday, November 14, 2010

Talking Point #6

"Because race has been the basis for oppression, and continues to play such a large role in one's life chances, it is perfectly legitimate to then offer scholarships on the basis of that category which has triggered the oppression"

I do not think that because of your race you should get a scholarship.  I think that scholarships should be offered for something that you work for like athletic or academic.  I do not think that you should get a scholarship for something that you did not work for.  Also, I think that by there being scholarships like this is going to continue ongoing racism.  Doesn't society want all races to be equal?? Then why are certain races getting scholarships for being of that race?  This is just continuing the ongoing racism and it is going to continue to be like that until changes are made.

"According to the head of the group, the scholarship is not being offered to help whites, per se, but rather, to point out the unfairness and immorality of 'racial preferences' in American Society"

This says it right there.  This is how I feel.  There should NOT be scholarships for certain races and not for others.  And no I am not saying this because I am white and I am not racist.  I would not like the recieve a scholarship for being white or for have blonde hair or blue eyes, something that I did not earn I was just born with I do not think that is right.  I want to get a reward for something that I personally worked hard for and that I earned I do not want something to be handed to me.  By there being scholarships like this it is causing racism to continue rather than diminishing it.

I agree with Wise.  Yes, white Americans do get the advantage most of the time (that is how society is and has been for hundreds of years) BUT African Americans and Native Americans etc, should not be getting scholarships just because of their race it just is not right.  I am not just saying this because I do not get one because I am white, I would not want that like I said before.  I just think that scholarships like this should not exsist.

1 comment:

  1. I am so with you on this. It sounds so bad coming from white people, but race shouldn't be a factor as far as scholarships go. It should be based on academics or willingness to be academic- isn't that what school is all about? I don't get how race can even be taken into consideration for this. (I don't think gender should either, to even it out. As a girl, I really don't think I should get preferential treatment for anything over anyone.)

    ReplyDelete