Why Gender Matters: What Parents and Teachers Need to Know About the Emerging Science of Sex Differences----
The male and the female brain are different, this why they both learn differently.
"Baby boys prefer to stare at mobiles; baby girls at faces. Boys solve maze puzzles using the hippocampus; girls use the cerebral cortex. Boys covet risk; girls shy away. Boys perform better under moderate stress; girls perform worse"
This is very important information to know when being a teacher. Males and females use different parts of their brain when they are learning. In other words males are more visual learners with pictures (hense why they like mobiles are a baby) and females are good listeners and observers (why they like to look at faces as a baby because they are reading facial expressions). As a teacher it is very important to know this that why you can teach a lesson in several different ways because not everybody learns information the same way. Some people learn better with shapes and pictures, some people learn better by hearing things, some people learn better hands on and some learn the best with a combination of the three like I do. So, this is very important information to know in order to become a successful teacher.
"That males and females have different emotional and cognitive responses to different kinds of light."
I do agree that males and females have seperate emotions and think differently about certain things. But, I do not think that they should be seperated in the classroom. They should be taught together that way that they can learn and think about certain topics in ways that they typically would not do on their own. By boys and girls being in the same classroom together when they are learning about certain topics the boys and girls can work together and the boys can talk about how cognitivley they think about a certain subject and vice versa, since boys and girls brains function differently they will have different approaches that will help the girls and boys to get a broader understanding of the topic. I also think that there should be a range of male and female teachers that way that the different cognitive approachs can be shown through the teacher and the students.
"Despite six years of No Child Left Behind, the achievement gaps between rich and poor students and white and black students have not significantly narrowed."
I know that No Child Left Behind when it was created the details were clearly sorted out but this was a good idea. I think that people need to get more funding and more clearly think about this approach and reinforce it in the classrooms. No child should be left behind at all. Regardless of the race, gender, age, disability all students should be taught the way that they learn the best so that they are a successful student. Different ways of teaching should be used in the classroom rather than teaching everyone the same way. EVERYONE LEARNS DIFFERENTLY. I do not understand why a lot of teachers do not think this way. Teachers should use visuals, use teaching methods that involves listening, teaching that involves hands on and a combination of them all. And if a student needs extra time or help, they should get it. That way that every student will learn to the best of their ability. If this were to happen then students would no longer be labeled as stupid because they would be learning the best that they could and would not be behind the other students.
I agree that men and women learn differently but I do not think that they should be in seperate classrooms. I think that classrooms should remain coed to have a balance. Because I think with all males in one room and all females in another room, there is too much competition (males feel like they have to be more macho than other males and the females feel that they have to be prettier and smarter than the other girls; especially when they are going through puberty) I think by the classes remaining coed there is that gender mix that balances it out. Also, since males and females learn differently the teacher will have to use multiple teaching styles which will also benefit the students because it will especially help those who learn in various different ways.
No comments:
Post a Comment