I thought this was an interesting reading because I do agree that at a young age racism is introduced through the cartoons that we watch and the stories that we hear. Especially through Disney, as a child I always wanted to be the Little Mermaid the beautiful princess that lived in the sea and met her prince charming. I am sure that a majority of little girls feel this way. All the Disney princesses are all of different cultures.. that way that they apply to all different little girls around the world.
"Industrially produced fiction has become one of the primary shapers of our emotions and our intellect... Although these stories are supposed to entertain us, they constantly give us a secret education."
This quote is sadly true. As an adult now that I watch all the Disney movies, cartoons and such that I used to watch as a child I get an entirely different meaning than I did as a child. When you really look at the meanings of some of these movies it is formualting a child's thinking process to believe in a stereotypical fantasy world.
"The young pretty ones only want to hook their manthe old; pretty ones are mean because they are losing their looks."
This quote drew my attention because the characters in Disney movies are really portayed in this fashion! This is sending young girls a message that the only thing that matters is your looks and getting a man that you will rely on for everything. This shows that in society men is the dominant race because women are they to wait for them and be pretty for them and that is all... in most cases this is not true but children see this in childrens Disney movies so what else are they supposed to think?
"Women who aren't white are beginning to feel left out and ugly because they never get to play a princess."
This is sad that several women felt this way. But, with time when SOME racism diminshed they created princesses of different races like Pochahantas, Jasmine and Mulan. Which is nice that they did that but in the past it made it seem like the only pretty women were white, which is not right.
I see where you're coming from, but I think this is a new age where the TV is sadly kids' first teacher, not their parents. SO if they take these things as absolute truth because it is a first education, then of course they are being greatly influenced! I don't know. I just think there's a parental factor that isn't acknowledged in this article.
ReplyDelete